Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Nevada Cocktail


Oh my god.

All along I've been posting that my drinks with light rum use Bacardi Silver. Because, you know, it's white, like Bacardi Gold is yellow. Right?

No. Bacardi Silver is the malt beverage under the Bacardi brand name. The correct brand name for the light rum is Bacardi Superior.

Why didn't anybody mention this to me? I feel like I've been walking around with spinach in my teeth or something.


Anyway, back to the drinks!
I'm always excited when I get to use bitters in a drink. I have a small but growing collection of bitters. Basically, whenever I come across a bottle I don't have, I buy it. At only about $5/bottle, it's a cheap habit. And besides, there just aren't that many out there. I think I have all the Fee Bro's by now, Regan's orange bitters, Collins orange bitters, and Trader Joe's blood orange, which annoy me because they have to be kept in the fridge. Not to mention the standard bottle of angostura. I even have a liter (yes a LITER) of angostura-ripoff mexican bitters. It was left in my house by party guests that had recently been to Mexico, bought a random bottle of liquor and discovered it to be undrinkable. No kidding, who wants to drink angustura bitters straight?

I digress. The Nevada cocktail is perfect when you want something daiquiri-like, but a little more complex. The grapefruit and bitters add a nice edge.

Recipe:
1.5 oz light rum (Bacardi Superior)
1 oz grapefruit juice
1 oz lime juice
1 dash bitters (Regan's orange)
3 tsps simple sugar

Shake with ice and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This looks great. I have to admit, I have never made or tried a Nevada Cocktail. It's going on my list.

Joe Bartender

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home