Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Mai Tai

The Mai Tai (the one without pineapple, with orgeat) is probably my favorite tiki drink of all time. Plenty has been written about the Trader Vic's Mai Tai, so I' won't belabor the point. But if you have never had one, MIX ONE NOW. You'll thank me later.

Recipe:
1 oz light rum (Bacardi Silver)
1 oz gold rum (Bacardi Gold)
.5 oz Orange Curacao (Potter's)
.5 oz Orgeat Syrup (Torani)
.5 oz lime juice
1 oz dark rum (Myer's)

Shake all but the dark rum with ice and strain into a chilled old-fashioned glass. Float dark rum on top and garnish with a cherry.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where in the world did you manage to find orgeat? I honestly don't think I've ever seen it before in a store.

12:19 AM  
Blogger Cocktail Jen said...

My once-local awesome liquor store Beltramo's had an extensive selection of Torani syrups, including orgeat. I think you can also find it at some Trader Joe's. CostCo might also have it--they do sell it online at costco.com.

12:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try your local gourmet coffee shops, since orgeat doesn't contain any alcohol it may not appear in your local liquor stores. If all else fails, almond syrup is an adequate substitute, and much easier to find.

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Orgeat is the way to go if you can find it. Man, I love Mai Tais. This one is looking pretty, too.

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From what I understand, almond syrup and orgeat are pretty much imperceptible. Adding a few drops of orange flower water might make it slightly more authentic, though.

8:20 PM  
Blogger Ron said...

My favorite drink too and the Mr Boston recipe has always been my fav.

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home