Tuesday, February 07, 2006

The "Mandy"

My travels this January have limited my posting as of late. I was in London and in Las Vegas, but found little to write home about on the cocktail front. I did manage to sample some Pimm's and lemonade in London, however. It was quite sweet, yet refreshing. I'll have to acquire some myself, as it seems like a nice spring drink.

But last weekend at a party I was introduced to a new cocktail, the provenance of which being that the recipe came from a friend of the hostess, "Mandy", if I remember correctly (which is only a small chance that I do, especially given the alcoholic content of said drink).

It seems to go something like this:
The Mandy Cocktail
1 oz vodka (Absolut)
dash grenadine
4 oz champagne (Cook's, but I'm sure a better brand would improve things)
dash bitters

Shake the vodka and grenadine with ice. Strain into a champagne flute. Top with champagne. Add bitters.

As champagne cocktails go, this one isn't the tastiest I've had (that would be a Kir Royale). Mine was a bit over-bittered, but I can see potential in this drink. It's fragrant and very drinkable, given the sweetness. I think the grenadine and bitters amounts could be balanced to make an interesting flavor. I've heard of similar cocktails using brandy, sugar, champange, and bitters, but this is is perhaps more a festive version. And it packs quite a kick. Which is, what I suppose, exactly what a pink and sparkly drink should do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home