Sunday, November 13, 2005

Pineapple Cocktail

I have a problem. You see, I absolutely love pineapple. It's the only proper topping for a pizza. Put a fresh pineapple in front of me and I'll eat it until the acid flays my mouth. But I am not a big fan of coconut. Why people think that these two things go together, I'll never understand.

So the Piña Colada always both tempts and repels me. I want to like them, but the coconut....especially when the coconut is Malibu rum...I shudder.

Therefore I was happy to come across the simple Pineapple Cocktail.

The recipe as given by Cocktail Times is as follows:
Pineapple Cocktail
- 2 oz Light Rum (Bacardi)
- 1 oz Pineapple Juice
- 1/2 oz Lemon Juice
- Glassware: Cocktail Glass

Shake all the ingredients in a shaker with ice cubes and strain into a cocktail glass.

Now, perhaps I added more than 1/2 oz of Lemon Juice, but I found the result to be overwhelmingly acidic. I decided to balance it by adding sugar to taste. It probably amounted to about 1/2 teaspoon. Mmmm, tasty!


While I'm at it, I thought I'd mention one of my clever home bar techniques. My husband and I are the only ones in the house, and he's a law student. Which means that while I'm kicking back after work, he needs a clear head to study. So my bar ingredients take a loooong time to get used up.

Many of my favorite cocktails require fruit juice. But one is torn between the need to commit to drinking a couple week's worth of cosmpolitans to finish off a bottle of cranberry juice, or allowing it to sit in the fridge until is goes fizzy.

But I discovered an ideal solution! A batch of juice goes into ice cube trays. Each cube is about 1 oz, coincidentally. Once frozen, the cubes go into a freezer bag. So to make the cocktail above, for example, I put one cube of frozen pineapple into the shaker and add the alcohol. A few shakes, and the alcohol melts the cube completely. Then I can add the other ingredients and make the drink as I normally would.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've done this, too, thinking I was oh so clever but you beat me to it by several years. I found that I had (no idea where I got it) a small ice cube tray that makes cubes in the form of little maple leaves that happen to be exactly 0.5 oz. I've noticed that many recipes call for 0.5 or 0.25 oz. You may want to try and find a decorative ice cube tray for this.

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home