Thursday, July 06, 2006

El Presidente Cocktails No. 1 and No. 2

The thing is, I'm way too lazy to research the origins of the cocktails I write about. I'm too busy drinking them. So I like to imagine origin stories instead.

For example, Mr. Boston has two cocktails named "El Presidente", distinguished by No. 1 and No. 2. No. 1 is a flavored daiquiri--lime, plus a bit of pineapple and grenadine. I'm thinking that El Presidente No.1 was named after some sort of benevolent populist guy. He threw fabulous parties, gave inspiring speeches, but probably didn't get much done. El Presidente No. 2 was more of a bitter authoritarian.

At any rate, El Presidente No. 1 is sugary and drinkable, along the lines of family restaurant cosmopolitan drinks. El Presidente No. 2 is waaaaaaay too vermouthy, and quite bitter. Rum just can't stand up to both vermouth and bitters. I threw it out after a few sips. I feel sorry for my mother-in-law's housemate, Rover, who asked what I was making at the 4th of July party (hence the red plastic cup) and wanted one.

Speaking of Rover, I should mention that not only is he very entertaining (he is looking very grim in this photo at the prospect of drinking more El Presidente No.2), he is the proprietor of Tea Fountain, which sells wonderful teas. You really must visit the site, at the very least for the tea info pages.

Anyway, recipes:
No. 1
1 oz lime juice
1 tsp pineapple juice
1 tsp grenadine
1.5 oz light rum (Bacardi silver)
Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

No. 2
.75 oz dry vermouth (Martini & Rossi)
1.5 oz light rum (Bacardi silver)
dash bitters (Angostura)
Stir with ice and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home