Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Creole

You know how dictionaries put fake words in them to catch copyright-infringers? I think the Creole is a fake drink made by the Mr. Boston's legal department. No one in their right mind would ever think of this, let alone try it and decide that the result was worth writing down for posterity.

I've been dreading it for a while. I couldn't skip it on the basis that the ingredients were too unusual to buy a whole bottle of, or that it was too difficult to make. So I screwed up my courage and mixed it up. Who knows? Maybe it would be good. Like gazpacho or something.

Anyway, for your horror and amusement, here is the recipe:
1.5 oz Light rum (Bacardi)
Dash Tabasco (alright, getting weird here, but not unheard of)
1 tsp lemon juice
1.5 oz Beef bouillon (That's right, it said beef bouillion BEEF. In a DRINK. Oh, and it was Herb Ox bouillon, if you must know.)
Salt and pepper to taste. ("To taste." The most ironic two words in the entire book.)

Shake with ice and strain into an ice-filled old fashioned glass.

It's not like gazpacho. It's like spicy, sour, and salty beef soup, served ice cold. I tried more "salt and pepper to taste". I tried more lemon. I tried having it with dry crackers to make me really thirsty. I tried it with strong cheese. No dice; I gave up after about ten courageous sips.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As much as I enjoy beef-based soups, that sounds incredibly disgusting! It's no wonder beef boullion isn't on the speed rack. Well, maybe in certain parts of Texas...

11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home