Thursday, May 18, 2006

Material acquisitions


Item 1: Yet Another Juicer
Up to now I've been using a lovely, classic, wooden citrus reamer on my lemons and limes. Effective, yes. But it also results in a lot of pulp and seeds in the shaker, hands covered in acid, and much difficulty in measuring as the juice ends up everywhere. So I got one of these.
Effective, keeps my hands dry, and the juice goes where one would expect, not all over the counter.

Item 2: Silicone makes everything better (almost)
I'd almost perfected the plastic icecube tray twist and shake, just enough to upend the cubes, not so much that they end up on the floor. Almost. But since silicone seems to be the be-all-end-all in kitchenware these days...it was time to modernize. I was not disappointed. Not only can I get four trays in the ice compartment instead of two, the cubes slide out individually with a push on the bottom.

Item 3: It's all about the bitters these days.
My dear friend Julian just arrived today for a summer-long stint on this coast. He brought with him three wonderful things: pictures of expensive accessories, pictures of cute animals (both in the Barney's New York catalogs) and a beautiful brown bottle of Regans' Orange Bitters No. 6. It's late tonight, but tomorrow there shall be Manhattans.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got some silicone ice cube trays from Ikea. Well, they might just be plastic. Anyway I wanted whimsical shapes.

The problem is that they aren't forgiving. That is to say, there's no way to fill one "cube" section to the top without spilling. If these don't have the same issue, let me know.

Also, v. jealous that I will not be involved in Manhattans.

That is all.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Cocktail Jen said...

senatorhatty:
The silicone ones are pretty obviously un-plastic. They are like rubber. I actually found them to be less spilly than the old plastic ones, but I think that's because they aren't as long.

And don't worry, you'll get your Manhattans.

11:51 AM  
Blogger Anna (Morsels and Musings) said...

ikea makes some of these rubbery ice cube trays in shapes like hearts and stars etc. they look great in cocktails. they are pretty cheap to buy too.

11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home