Saturday, May 06, 2006

Chinese Cocktail

As I was making this, I wondered why it was called a Chinese cocktail. None of the ingredients are particularly Asian, after all.

However, the moment I poured it into the glass, the reason became clear. The color is an intense orangish red.

Otherwise, it's ok. Rather like a maraschino cherry. I was surprised that the Maraschino flavor came through so strongly. The dark rum blends nicely with it, too.

1 Tbsp Grenadine (Rose's)
1.5 oz Jamaican rum (I used Gosling's Bermuda black rum)
1 dash bitters
1 tsp Maraschino Liqueur
1 tsp Triple Sec

3 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan said...

*Please* don't use Rose's grenadine. It can be hard to find something, anything, else, but Rose's has to be the worst grenadine ever. Recipes for making your own abound on the web, although I haven't taken the time to try it myself. I used to have a wonderful French grenadine, but I forgot to take down its name before tossing the bottle, and now I'm lost at sea. Fee Brothers is as good as I can do now.

7:37 AM  
Blogger Cocktail Jen said...

Yeah, it's been on my to-do to make some Pom-based grenadine for a while. I don't really love grenadine in general, so it's been hard to get passionate about it (maybe because I've only had Rose's?) I'm thinking I'll have a big bottling session this weekend, along with the limoncello I keep meaning to make.

11:46 AM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Certainly Rose's doesn't inspire any passion, that's for sure. It can be hard, but any big liquor store will have another brand and anything is better than Rose's. But yeah, making my own is something at the top of my Cocktail to do list.

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home